Can a tankless water heater help your food truck business thrive?
For many chefs, and even sous chefs and line cooks, having their own food truck is a dream come true. And, thanks to the cost-effectiveness and portability of mobile food service, more aspiring restaurateurs want in on the action.
With the popularity of food trucks featured on television and in the movies, customers have developed a growing appetite for food truck offerings, from humble hamburgers to gourmet global cuisine. But when faced with a long line of hungry customers, you need to feed them as quickly and efficiently as possible or they might walk away and never return.
A streamlined, orderly approach to serving customers is essential for keeping that customer line flowing steadily throughout the day. This must be incorporated into every aspect of your business, from prep and service to cleanup.
Of course, the top priority of operating a food truck business is thoroughly maintaining food safety and sanitation every step of the way. You definitely don't want to cut corners here.
Food trucks need a lot of water to function properly. Washing your hands, dishes, and sanitizing your cooking surfaces takes time. You don't want to delay serving your customers because you've run out of hot water at the worst possible moment. If you have to wait those extra few minutes (or longer) for a traditional water heater to heat up, your customers might quickly go from hungry in a polite and patient queue to hangry and down the road.
How do you heat water in a mobile environment?
When it comes to using a food truck hot water system, one of the best ways to make sure you have a steady supply of the necessary hot water is with a propane tankless water heater. The Eccotemp i12 Liquid Propane Indoor Tankless Hot Water Heater is the most popular option for food trucks. Affordable, efficient, and space-saving, the i12 Propane Tankless Water Heater checks all the necessary requirements for a food truck hot water system.
- Is an extremely energy efficient money saver: It saves fuel during standby, remaining off until you turn the faucet on. You're not paying for hot water when you're not using it.
- Is a time saver: You'll get hot water instantly.
- Is a space saver: Easily mounts on the interior wall of your food truck.
So, how do you get that water heater there in the first place?
We recommend hiring a qualified professional to do your tankless water heater installation, but here are a few things to keep in mind…
Make sure that:
- You are at the proper elevation and in the zone specified for this model.
- Your food truck is set up for use with liquid propane.
- You have the necessary permits.
- Your food truck is up to code with local requirements.
- The space where you want to place the water heater is measured correctly and in the best location. In a food truck, this is typically mounted permanently to the wall where it can connect to your gas source.
- The water heater will be located far from heat sources, flammable materials, gas stove, etc.
- You have all the tools and equipment you need for installation, including proper plumbing, water line(s), power source, ventilation, etc.
- The tankless water heater is properly vented to the outside.
- The water heater is hooked up to the water supply and propane source.
- You must check for gas leaks at the fittings and connections
- The water heater is set to the desired temperature
Congratulations. Your food truck is now one step closer to being an efficient, streamlined, food service machine. Now, you can get back to focusing on the thing you love: sharing your food with satisfied, happy customers.